Many of my clients now choose to take a simple salivary swob to get their DNA analysed, from there I can create a bespoke lifestyle and dietary protocol, which can unlock the potential for your body to live without many diseases that are prevalent today.
Why is it a good idea to learn about our unique genetic make up? Elon Musk said recently that he believed this is the future of medicine. He hopes that in the not too distant future every new born will get our saliva swob taken at birth to establish our bodies unique handbook for our lives. This is preventative medicine at its best and could potentially save us a lot of suffering with ailments that could have been prevented. Personally I find it a great motivator for both me and my clients to look after themselves and stay focused on healthy behaviours.
Genetic variations can increase our risk for many diseases including diabetes, thrombosis, cancers, osteoporosis, liver diseases, intolerances such as gluten or lactose. These are just a few examples.
If you have genes that make you more susceptible to inflammation it can cause many problems such as cardiovascular disease, neurological and autoimmune diseases. With this knowledge we can give targeted specific advice on how to maintain low levels of inflammation which is the key to health.
The COMT gene for example plays a major role in mood, anxiety, anger, stress response as well as oestrogen metabolism. We can support these genes which will improve their quality of life and also reduce their susceptibility to oestrogen related health problems.
Another example is where someone may have a poor ability to detoxify toxins and heavy metals (prevalent in our environment) and so they should use frequent saunas and we would support their body’s ability to detoxify by increasing cruciferous vegetables and sulphurous foods to support detox pathways.
About 80% of weight gain is caused by genetic variations. Since each of us carries different genes, some people may gain weight by absorbing too much, while others can even have twice as much fat in the diet and still absorb the necessary amount.
The situation is the same with carbohydrates; some people gain weight because of the carbohydrates contained in the diet while others are completely unaffected by the amount they consume. The optimum amount of calorie reduction and sport also depends on the genes.
Through an analysis of the eight relevant genes, a personalized weight-loss program can be put together; in practice, a personalized program has led to a 2.5 times higher success rate.
Benefits of Nutrigenomics Testing
Nutrigenomics testing has many benefits as it impacts the personal health of an individual and allows them to make positive changes to their lifestyle which will help them lead a better life full of health. Nutrigenomics testing has extensive benefits for the health care industry in general and the personal health of an individual in particular.
Here are just some of the benefits of nutrigenomics testing.
- It helps in understanding the role genetics play in health and diseases to a greater extent, especially in the case of chronic diseases.
- It helps in finding our better therapeutic interventions that help you deal well with your existing diseases.
- It helps in identifying abnormalities in the earlier stages and also helps in the initiation of strategies to reduce risks timely.
- It has helped in shifting the focus from disease management to disease prevention and health promotion.
- It has helped in identifying the molecular mechanisms that are related to the interactions between environmental factors and genes. This also includes the components of food that lead to these interactions.
- It helps an individual to make a personal diet plan based on the individual dietary choices based on their particular genotype.
- It leads a person to changes in their food choices. They make better choices in selecting their foods that will help them reduce their susceptibility to diet related diseases.
These are just some of the benefits of nutrigenomics testing. On a larger scale, nutrigenomics testing has helped people make positive changes to their diet, exercise and the overall lifestyle and move towards healthy living.
With the help of nutrigenomics testing, many people have been able to make better and informed decisions about their health.
Being proactive is the key to living and ageing well to enable you to live your healthiest and happiest life with optimum vitality.